The secrets for kneading pizza following the traditional recipe
Kneading is the same as building and those who dream of becoming a professional pizza-maker must first and foremost learn to build the underlying structure of the pizza. In fact, in this delicate phase, you don’t just mix the ingredients, but you build the gluten. How do you knead pizza impeccably?
The secrets of the Neapolitan pizza
If you want to learn to make real Neapolitan pizza, know that this product—a symbol of Italian food all over the world—is protected and promoted by the “Real Neapolitan Pizza” Association, which drew up real genuine International Rules to describe and clarify the steps of its preparation, ingredients for the dough, toppings, and characteristics that the pizza must meet to be considered a real Neapolitan one.
The original recipe must breathe life into a pizza:
- Round (about 30-35 cm in diameter);
- With a high crust (the famous cornicione);
- Soft and supple.
How do you knead pizza to get these results?
The heart of Neapolitan pizza is the dough, which must be prepared with:
- Active dry yeast;
The secret is knowing how to knead the dough by hand (or alternatively, with a kneading machine) following the main steps:
- Mix flour, water, salt, and yeast.
- Pour a liter of water, melting the sea salt (from 50 to 55 g), and add 10% of the total amount of flour required.
- Melt 3 g of active dry yeast and knead the dough until its consistency is how you want it (desired consistency).
- Knead the dough for another 20 minutes at low speed.
Three secrets to knead a perfect pizza
- Always use fresh, quality raw ingredients, preferably from the Campania region (for example, extra-virgin olive oil).
- Let it rise for at least two hours: if it doesn’t leaven long enough, the molecular ties will only partially be broken and during digestion, gas will form in the intestine, giving the typical uncomfortable post-pizza bloating.
- Knead the dough by hand and roll it by making a movement from the middle outwards, pressing with the fingers of both hands.
Now that you know how to knead pizza, finish cooking in the wood-fired oven, making sure the temperature is stable, so that the heat is distributed uniformly.
Marana Forni products are innovative, because they are made to simplify the life of workers: for example, the rotating oven with the option to lift the cook plate allows you to obtain a high-quality final product.
Check out our website for more information and contact us for personalized consultancy.